Most of the restaurants (Tori) are relatively specialised. There is no sushi and shamini together with tempura and and grilled meat everywhere. Some places around Tokyo have plastic samples of the dishes or photos in the menu (like fast foods). But this is not the case everywhere. I would say less you have photos more typical is the food. In Tokyo even in small (10 places) Tories (ahh ah) in popular street markets they may provide a paper with some english guide lines.
In the north part of the country (as long as I experienced it) there is no such help. I went to a very nice japanese bar, serving meals too (as an english pub) where the owners where very nice and really wanted to communicate. Very little words of english but enough to understand I was their first european client... ever. The sake was free... In most places everything is written down (and downwards) in beautiful kenji characters. Some times on wooden pieces above the bar. It is better to know some words. The wifi is usually not available everywhere and internet translation (towards japanese only) may cost some money.
This country is so safe that all this is never uncomfortable. Trust is the first step for communication wjich exists to provide trust. Ok I stop... Shinkansen is drilling through the night so I had some time to write.




No comments:
Post a Comment